- Electric Mixer
- 1 Cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 2 tsp teaspoons LorAnn Oils, Orange Oil
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour (plus more for the pan)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 300 grams granulated sugar (plus about 2 tablespoons for sprinkling)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest ( plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated orange zest
- 2 tsp LorAnn Oils, Vanilla Bean Paste
- Flax Based Egg Substitute = equivalent to 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups plant based milk, (I prefer cashew) at room temperature
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan using extra-virgin olive oil andline the bottom with parchment paper. Oil the parchment and flour the pan, shaking out anyexcess flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer set on high, beat the sugar, egg substitute and both zestsuntil very thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer still running, slowly drizzle in theoil and beat until incorporated, another 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add plant milkand lemon juice. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Transfer thebatter to the prepared pan, smooth the top using an offset spatula and sprinkle the top withabout 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.Transfer to a rack to cool for 20 minutes, then run a knife around the edge to release the sidesof the cake from the pan. Invert the cake onto a plate and then flip it back over onto the rackto cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to oneweeK..