local baked bread | vine ripened tomatoes | shaved red onion | black garlic | balsamic reductionOLA Olive tossPrint Pin
- 2 1/2 lbs mixed vine or heirloom ripe tomatoes ( cut into large chunks)
- 1 tbsp kosher salt ( plus more for seasoning)
- 1 rustic sourdough baguette (torn into 1 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots ( minced)
- 3 medium cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsps red chili ﬂakes
- 1 English cucumber (peeled and chopped into large chunks)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (sliced thin)
- 1 red onion (shaved)
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsps ﬂat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 bottle OLA Olive
- Place chopped tomatoes in a colander set over a bowl and season with 2 teaspoons (8g) kosher salt. Toss to coat. Set aside at room temperature to drain, tossing occasionally. Drain for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and adjust rack to center position.
- In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with 1/4 cup olive oil. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake about 15 minutes, until crisp and ﬁrm but not browned. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Remove colander with tomatoes from bowl with tomato juice.
- Place colander with tomatoes in sink.
- Add shallot, garlic, mustard, and vinegar to bowl with tomato juice.
- Whisking constantly, drizzle in remaining 3/4 cup olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine toasted bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, red onion and dressing in a large bowl.
- Add basil leaves. Toss everything to coat and season with salt and pepper. Let rest 30 minutes to one hour before serving, tossing occasionally until the dressing is absorbed by the bread. Enjoy!
- Toss individual servings with OLA Olive.